Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"When the Garden Sun is Setting"

"And your mind from care is free, When of others you are thinking, Will you also think of me". Your friend, Elton" These are the words my Dad wrote to my Mom in this autograph book on May 22, 1929. It is full of sweet little old fashioned verses that bring a smile to your face as you read them. Four and a half years later, they were married. Mom and Dad had only 8th grade educations as did a lot of South Dakota, pre-depression, farm children, but, that did not keep them from educating themselves. Many times, they would read our books as we brought them home from school. They kept up with daily news, the stock market and politics. Starting out as hired help to a farmer and his wife in Iowa, they built their own empire of farm land through the years. Their legacy to their children was more than in material things !! This book will be lovingly stored in the "treasure chest".

3 comments:

June said...

Ohhhh my, what a beautiful item to own, how wonderfully romantic and precious. I love the story of your parents building life,love and beauty,
hope you are well my friend,
hugs June xxxxx

Tammy Hixon said...

I love that book. I don't think I've ever seen it.

Ginny said...

Tammy - I'm quite sure you probably have not seen this book. Mom always had it in her box of mementoes. I don't remember how I ended up with it, but, I know as a young girl, I always loved reading the verses in it.