Monday, August 17, 2009

Cousins

This faded photo taken in Ohio, is dated November, 1945. That is me on the right and my sister is on the pony that belonged to cousin Ivan, on the right. Ivan was a long awaited child and always seemed to have everything any child could want. The other cousin is David, whose father had just died. Erwin was my mother's brother and had just been to visit us in Iowa a month before, on his way to South Dakota to go pheasant hunting with family and friends. Of course, this was my first funeral and the image of my Mom lifting me to view my uncle's body in the casket, is as clear to me today as it was that day. If it were not for this photo, that would be the only thing about that trip to Ohio that I would ever have remembered. Odd, the remembrances of childhood experiences that stay with you all of your life !!

No comments: