Friday, August 7, 2009

Horses for Sale

This old photo of "horses behinds" has always fascinated me. The horses were being readied for a farm sale during the depression when my G'ma and G'pa Hanle were giving up farming in South Dakota and moving to Canton, Ohio. There were jobs there and hope !! Draft horses were used to pull plows, planters and other farm implements. My Dad had four of these type horses before he purchased his first tractor in the early 40's. We kids always wanted a riding pony, but, Dad would never give in to that idea. He had enough of dealing with these animals and had been kicked one too many times !! Consequently, he was short on love for any kind of horse !!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I love this photo, too. Bob has never given in to my want for a horse either. Since he grew up with them he agrees with Grampa's sentiment for sure. He keeps reassuring me that they are NOT just big loveable puppy dogs, like I assume they must be.