Sunday, December 14, 2008

More Shakers

These colorful salt and pepper shakers, stamped on the bottom "Handmade in Japan", belonged to my Mom and Dad. They sat on Mom's little curio shelves when I was very young and I found them in those beautiful built in cabinets in their formal living room when we were sorting through things after they were gone. In the 30's and 40's, whenever anyone took a trip, souvenirs were always brought back to family members left behind and souvenir shops back then usually had large selections of hand painted items from Japan. None of us kids knew for sure how Mom came about having these, so I think that could be their story. G'ma and G'pa Hanle made many different driving trips and when they would stop at our farm on the way home from their destinations, there was always a souvenir gift given. Neither my sis and brother wanted them, so another family memento has a home in my china cabinet !

No comments: