Friday, December 26, 2008

Patriotic Dresses

Another example of my Mom's creativity and talents !! This photo of sister Shirley and myself, is dated 1943. I think I remember these dresses because I wore Shirley's hand-me-down when she outgrew it and I had outgrown mine. Mom had seen them in a store window, of course, and made up her own pattern. The fabric was white with red stars and red with white stars. The collars were blue with white stars. Then she made those big red bows, attached to barrettes, for our hair. It was war time and we were very patriotic looking ! For any "dress up" affair, we had "Shirley Temple" curls put into our naturally curly hair. I always loved it when Mom "fixed" my hair. Weren't we just the cutest two little girls ? Even when finances were short, we always had nice clothes because Mom could do anything ! There are a few professional photos of us kids, but, the only one of the five of us together was when Mom and Dad celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. Thank heavens for Kodak cameras !!!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I never knew those dresses had stars, and were red/white/and blue. Well, if I did, I forgot. It's funny that I used that photo and colored the dresses red and white in a book a made about three years ago now!