Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ducks for Easter

When the "Easter Bunny" filled our baskets with candy and eggs, there was always something non-edible placed in it, also. These two little guys appeared in my baskets a couple of different years back in the 40's. We three each had a basket that was reused every year --it was brought out of the storage closet on the day we dyed eggs. The "bunny" filled our baskets and hid it somewhere in the house Easter eve. One particular Easter when I was 7 or 8 years old, I made the comment that the baskets were always too easy to find. Easter morning came - my baby brother"s basket was easily found -- my big sister found hers -- I hunted high and low, upstairs and down and couldn't find mine. I was beginning to think I had been forgotten. Mom and Dad finally took pity on me and gave me the hint that it was in the kitchen somewhere. I opened every cupboard door and looked in the refrigerator. When I opened the oven door, Mom said "you're getting warmer". I finally found my basket in the water reservoir of Mom's old Home Comfort wood cook stove. I never again complained whenever anything was "easy" !!

No comments: