Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Dad's Best Girl

This photo of my Mom was probably taken in the late 20's or early 30's. Mom kept her old mementos in a box in a closet or some storage spot in the house. Old photos weren't in albums or out where anyone could see them. I never knew some things even existed until after Mom and Dad were gone ! I suppose that may be true of all generations. On one of my visits to Iowa, Dad was sitting in his recliner and we were just visiting about one thing and another. Out of the blue, he pulled his wallet out of his pocket and said "Did I ever show you a picture of my best girl?" After showing it to me, he told me he had carried it always. I think when he looked at Mom as they aged, he always thought of her like this. I know when I think about your Dad, I always picture him as he was when we were young.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I love that story. I remember visiting one time when Hilery was little. Grama and Grampa were still getting around pretty well for the most part. Anyway, they were walking ahead of us into the store, I don't remember exactly where. But, I watched Grampa take Grama's hand and walk in with her. It was before I heard this story about the photo, but I knew right then watching them hold hands after children, grandchildren and a great-grandchild, that they were a special (and lucky) couple to have found each other.