Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thirty Some Years Later

Here we are the day of Mom and Dad's open house celebration for their 50th wedding anniversary. They were married October 3, 1933. We wanted to find 1933 gold coins to have Mom a necklace and Dad a ring made. U.S. coins were impossible to find, so we settled for Canadian Maple Leaf pieces that were dated 1933. This is the only professional photo ever taken of the five of us together. Mom and Dad knew each other all of their lives having grown up on neighboring farms in South Dakota. Dad once told me that he loved my Mom, even when they were little children. As a teenager, he walked across a cornfield in the middle of the night to go see her. On his way back home, he became disoriented in the cornfield and somewhat lost. Fortunately, there was a full moon and he found his way. How I wish that I had recorded more of his stories !!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I wonder why family portraits are so difficult to accomplish? I only remember one that Bob, Hil and I did, and I didn't like it all that well! What that photo really makes me remember, though, is the way Grama's house always smelled. Like we belonged there, I don't think anyone was ever a stranger!

June said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful stories and occasions Ginny. Its always lovely to come here
Hugs June x