Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Printer's Box Mini Mementos

This 11" X 16" printer's box, picked up at an antique mall years ago, hangs on my entry hall wall along with a collage of other life mementos. It was easy for me to find small things to fill it, pack rat that I am !! The mini perfume bottles are part of a collection of many and most of them are more than 20 years old. Some of the little dogs are part of your collection that you had as a young girl. One little silver looking dog came as a Cracker Jacks box prize when I was 7 or 8 years old. Two of the brass thimbles were my Mom's and one was my G'ma Hanle's. I have a bit of paper stuck inside them with their names. The rest of the thimbles were found at antique malls or estate sales. A wood thread spool and bobbins from Mom's treadle sewing machine, a boot whittled by a friend of your Dad's, a couple of "lucky" coins and Ginger's dog tags fill spots. At the one room country school I attended from kindergarten (we called it primary grade) through 8th grade, we drew names for gift giving at Christmas time. Terry Beckman drew my name and gifted me with the pretty decorative goldtone pencil. My first locket, something every little girl of the 40's era had, lays in one spot. My "baby ring" that once had a red stone in it and another childhood ring, lay in another spot, along with a "friendship" ring that I believe was yours. The plastic "Virginia" once had a pin back on it, a gift from one of Mom's farm wife friends, when I was 4 or 5. The pewter horse, a memento of a weekend trip your Dad and I took to stay at the Colorado Belle in Laughlin back when companies would comp rooms for their employees. The brown pocket knife was your Dad's when he was a kid and he carried it for many years. I had the little white one on a key chain for years, but, don't recall where it came from . The small gold one was my G'pa Hanle's. A fun and perfect place for small mementos - not much fun to clean !

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Wow, what alot of fun stuff. I've lost track of so MANY things...makes me sad everytime I think about it. Too many moves, and maybe too much Johnson blood swimming around. Haven't kept things I should've kept I suppose.